November 24, 2019 - Montenegro has been a very interesting country in terms of geopolitics and there’s clear foreign influence on the media, which has been subject to misinformation and media manipulation.
Such state of affairs might affect some social and political processes, especially in the times of global tensions, so the whole society must be aware of the problem and thus make a broader social coalition for the responsible solution to this issue, President of the Association of Citizens ‘Why Not’ [in Montenegrin: Zašto ne], Darko Brkan, assessed in an interview for Dnevne Novine daily.
After Mr Bokan launched the portal Raskrinkavanje.ba [it monitors, analyzes, assesses and reveals fake news and media manipulation], many similar portals were launched in the region as well and as for MNE, it exists within the Centre for Democratic Transition, CDT, since last year.
According to him, media literacy represents the best answer to the problem of misinformation and media manipulation, but it is a long-term job and current threats need to be addressed at multiple levels, starting from the strengthening of organizations dealing with media liability.
When asked to comment on the situation in MNE and the fact that it has been exposed to a kind of hybrid war, he said: “Montenegro has similar problems as the rest of the region in this context. The media, in pursuit of sustainability, lose their independence and become spokespersons for political groups, and journalists in such situations cannot maintain their integrity. The division on the political scene leads to the division in the media.”
In his previous interviews, Mr Brkan used to claim that there were two types of fake media –one launching misinformation for money and others for political reasons. On the question of which one we have more in the media scene, he answered: “There is no doubt about it – the media spreading misinformation for money. “
Speaking about the cooperation with the colleagues from Montenegro, that is, the CDT, he noted: “Of course we are collaborating with our colleagues from the CDT, we have developed the methodology by joint forces, and we helped them when they were starting this whole process. Challenges before the CDT are just as ours, and our greatest challenge right now is the lack of capacities so that we can check all the articles in the media on a daily basis…but the situation is getting better.”
On the situation in the region and major issues in the media, Mr Brkan said: “There are three kinds of problems in the media: the first and the most important one is the usage of the media for political and business purposes. The problem with this is that it leads to significant violations of journalism ethics manifested through the spreading of fake news and media manipulation. Another problem is a complete transformation of the society through which we are getting the information, which came as a consequence of social networks.”
Text by CDM on November 23, 2019, read more here.
To read more about lifestyle in Montenegro, follow TMN's dedicated page.
Cooperation in areas of culture and tourism is successfully developed between Saint Petersburg and Herceg Novi, to the satisfaction of both sides, it was announced during a meeting between officials from the two cities. It was agreed that Saint Petersburg would be represented at the 51st Mimosa festival, and that cultural exchanges would also continue, giving the public in Herceg Novi the opportunity to attend choral concerts, theatre performances and other artistic events from this Russian cultural capital, reported Herceg Novi Municipal Information Service.
During a working visit to Saint Petersburg, held at the invitation of the mayor of the city, the Mayor of Herceg Novi Municipality Stevan Кatić, Deputy Mayor Miloš Кonjević, Director of Herceg Novi Tourism Organisation Pavle Obradović and local councillor Savo Marić met with the Chair of Saint Petersburg Culture Committee Konstantin Eduardovich Sukhenko, Head of Government Organisation “Petersburg Concert” Yekaterina Anatoliyevna Artyushkina, Yuriy Gruzdyev and representatives of the city’s Culture Committee, in the Saint Petersburg Municipal Building.
Herceg Novi and Saint Petersburg are linked by their importance as cultural centres with rich historical heritage where great artists lived and worked, as well as both being important tourist destinations in their respective countries. Culture and tourism are therefore recognised as main themes for cooperation and connection, within which there are many opportunities for projects and exchange, it was announced at the meeting. It was noted that such meetings broaden and strengthen cooperation between regions, and contribute to ensuring relations remain at the highest possible level.
Photo: Herceg Novi Municipality
It was concluded that cooperation between the two cities would undoubtedly thrive as all the right conditions are in place - both in terms of the productive cultural potential of the “Northern Venice” and the “Pearl of the Adriatic” - and the goodwill of officials on both sides. A joint wish was expressed for the signing of a friendship agreement between Herceg Novi and Saint Petersburg.
Representatives of Herceg Novi thanked the Saint Petersburg Culture Committee for its readiness to support the development of cultural cooperation between the two cities. At the end of the meeting, held in a cordial and friendly atmosphere, the delegations exchanged gifts. Кatić presented Mr Sukhenko with a letter of thanks for strengthening and expanding cultural cooperation between Saint Petersburg and Herceg Novi.
Presentation of Herceg Novi tourist attractions in Saint Petersburg
In addition to the meeting with city officials, the working visit to Saint Petersburg was an opportunity for the tourist organisations of the two cities to meet. Emphasis was placed on building on the excellent cooperation developed thus far, as well as promotional issues and arrangements for the delivery of joint projects.
At the same time, a meeting was held with Svetlana Vasiliyevna Lavretsova, Director of the A. A Bryantsev Theatre, which has successfully performed twice to audiences from Herceg Novi. There was a summary of cooperation so far, and the next performance was also agreed in principle.
Presentations were also made of Herceg Novi’s tourist attractions and tourist potential to tour operators, tourism companies, and media from Russia. During the conference at the Astoria Hotel in Saint Petersburg, leading companies in the Russian tourist market had the opportunity to discover all the possibilities the city has to offer.
Source: Radio Jadran
Porto Montenegro Marina Director Tony Browne has been named President of the Global Marina Institute. GMI has the responsibility for overseeing education in the marina sector, training, and certification of those marinas’ members through the institutions of the Association of Marina Industries (MIA) and British Marines (BM), said “Adriatic Marinas”.
Browne has been named President of the Institute based on ten years of experience in running and operating the Porto Montenegro Marina, the winner of the unique and prestigious Platinum Award awarded by the British Yacht Harbor Association (TYHA). With this global recognition, Porto Montenegro marina is the only marina in the world as the carrier of the highest ranking in the yachting service and industry. Browne emphasized that he is looking forward to this function and that his mission is to educate all boaters to the highest standards of the world and to do their work following the same.
The Global Marines Institute (GMI) was established in 2011 as a partnership between the British Marines Association and the Marina Industry Association - providing global training and certifications for marinas to maintain and raise standards in marinas worldwide. GMI works to maintain existing certifications and develop new certification pathways and training to meet the needs of existing marinas and marinas that are being developed around the world.
Text by Zora Krstovic, on November 22nd, 2019, read more at Radio Tivat
The third in a series of seasonal events, the Autumn Festival will be held on Saturday, November 23, from 10 am to 2 pm, in Njegoseva Street, as well as in front of the City Cafe in Herceg Novi.
An exhibition of handicrafts and local products, food and drinks, and creative workshop for children will be on offer.
Donations will be collected for pupils from the elementary school “Daso Pavicic” for Masa Berat.
“The inspiration for celebrating food and design is autumn, and the flavors and colors of autumn fruits we have in abundance this season. An event for the whole community, something for all ages and interests,” said the organizers, members of the Non-Governmental Association NGA “Ruke” (Hands).
Text by Boka News, on November 22nd, 2019, read more at Boka News
The celebration of Kotor Municipality Day on November 21st began this morning when City Music, as usual, toured the city, after which a reception of City Music members was organized in the hall of the Kotor Municipality. A reception for members of the Boka Navy was held at 9.30 am.
At 10 am, wreaths were arranged for the fallen fighters in Risan. At 11.15 am in front of the building of the Municipality of Kotor, a ceremonial report and the flag of the Boka Navy was handed over. Laying wreaths at the memorial to fallen fighters at Park Sloboda (Freedom) took place at 11.30 am.
At noon, the Boka Navy performed a traditional dance at the main town square. At 1 pm in the hall of the Cultural Center "Nikola Djurkovic", the ceremonial session of the Municipal Assembly of Kotor will begin, and the award of the traditional 21 November prize.
Believers today celebrate Our Lady of Health and St. Arandjel Day.
Text by Boka News, on November 21st, 2019, read more at Boka News
Geotehnika Montenegro of Nikšić will be carrying out major works until November next year to mitigate the landslide around Kanli Kula, which, once implemented, will stop further shifting of the land and “cracking” of the fortress. The estimated value of the project, financed by the Public Works Administration of Montenegro, had been 300k euros; however, an offer from Geotehnika was accepted at 219,615 euros including VAT. Experts from Geotehnika have already been working for a month on the complex project.
The audit of the main project is being carried out by Civil Engineer, Podgorica. The Public Works Administration had earmarked 50k euros for this; however the company has cost 27,600 euros for the completion of the work.
The damage to Kanli Kula has become all the more visible in recent years, with cracks and crevices in the walls widening, and sagging increase. Experts have confirmed that this is the consequence of a significant landslide from the main road to the Old Town and The Church of the Archangel, noting that it is now precarious.
Kanli Kula Damage - photo Radio Jadran
The repairs to Kanli Kula, an old Turkish fortress from the 16th century - once a prison, but in 1966 rebuilt as one of the best summer stages on the Adriatic - will be carried out in two parts. The first is to carry out minor works that will precede major landslide mitigation. Only then will the second-stage reconstruction of the fortress take place, Prof. Dušan Lučić of the Montenegrin Institute of Civil Engineering, stated to Radio Jadran. Prof. Lučić was a member of the team involved in the exploratory work carried out at the beginning of April 2017.
The project works will take one year, given the need to use the entire 11- month hydrological cycle to monitor how the soil “reacts” in all atmospheric conditions.
During a visit to Herceg Novi this summer, the Ambassador of Turkey to Montenegro, Songul Ozan, stated that the Embassy of the Republic of Turkey in Montenegro was interested in cooperating with the city and government to find a model that would assist the renovation of Kanli Kula and remedy the landslides that threaten the fortress. Together with her Deputy Bled Kačar and Trade Relations Advisor Derij Koč, the Ambassador urged the Municipality’s leadership to consider applying for the project with the Turkish Agency for International Cooperation and Coordination.
For the repairs and adaptation to Kanli Kula, JUK Herceg Fest, which manages the fortress, will be working jointly with the Ministry of Culture under a mandatory conservation project, stated the Institution’s Director Gordana Porobić Krcunović.
Although architecturally in a deplorable state, the fortress has been able to “withstand” all cultural and entertainment programmes that have been minimised in technical and technological terms. This summer, a high-tech visitors centre was opened at the fortress, with funding provided by the Interreg IPA Cross-Border Cooperation Programme for Croatia-Bosnia Herzegovina-Montenegro 2014-2020, through the Fortress ReInvented project. With augmented reality glasses and 3D animation, users were able to step back into the Middle Ages and see what this centuries-old fortress and the city of Herceg Novi looked like throughout history.
Source: Radio Jadran
November 20, 2019 - After the first public electric car charger, Podgorica is now about to get the first electric taxi service. Six Tesla vehicles (Model S) are already in capital, and the luxurious taxi service is expected to start in the forthcoming weeks. According to the Tesla project coordinator, Mr Milan Prodanović, plans are afoot to extend the fleet of Tesla vehicles.
As Mr Prodanović said, ordering taxi rides will be managed through their “TeslagoApp”.
“Given the fact that this is the state-of-the-art application of its kind (like Uber and Yandex), enabling high-quality, more transparent and more efficient service, we firmly believe people will acknowledge the benefits and gradually start using the application, following the trend in the world”, explained Mr Prodanović.
Mr Prodanović said that these were very expensive cars and pointed out they had tried to adapt the price to average and make it just slightly higher than it s in other companies.
“In accordance with the new Decision on Taxi Services, minimum prices won’t be in force anymore, and every company will be required to set prices at €0,50. We don’t want to elaborate on that right now, we’ll rather inform clients on the commencement of service provision”, said Mr Prodanović.
He pointed out that Podgorica was the first town in the region to provide Tesla car taxi service.
“Citizens’ awareness is changing and car producers are becoming aware that they should focus on the electric cars sale, as they bring numerous advantages (instant acceleration, no gear shifting, more comfortable driving etc.)”, said Mr Prodanović.
He says that there’s a shortage of electric car chargers in Podgorica, which is the reason why the project of the installation of electric chargers was started six months ago.
“Currently, we own the only fast charger but, with time, that will change”, said Mr Prodanović.
Text by CDM on November 20, 2019, read more here.
To read more about lifestyle in Montenegro, follow TMN's dedicated page.
The National Tourism Organization (NTO) presented Montenegro's tourism offer at the specialized IBTM congress industry fair in Barcelona, with an emphasis on congress tourism, which is important for extending the season.
The NTO said it is one of Europe's most important trade shows for the congress industry, business and motivational travel, bringing together 2.6 thousand exhibitors from 77 countries and over 2.7 thousand professionals in the field.
During the first day of the fair, representatives of the NTO presented Montenegro's offer for congress tourism.
"During the meetings with event organizers from the markets of Spain, Belgium, Germany, Russia, Poland, Great Britain, France, they informed them about the improved hotel capacities, better airline connectivity and the possibilities for organizing events offered by our country," the statement said.
The NTO said that Montenegro is a growing destination on the list of the most popular destinations for business tourism.
"From year to year, the demand is increasing, in accordance with numerous advantages, in the first place the opening of new four and five star hotels that have the necessary facilities and state-of-the-art equipment, Mediterranean climate, unusual nature, the possibilities for organizing unforgettable excursions, and the fact that it is located at about two hours' flight distance from most European centers," the statement added.
For Montenegro, the development of this type of tourism is especially important from the aspect of extending the season and creating a year-round tourist destination and generating higher revenues from tourism, given the fact that business trips are realized during the period outside the main tourist season, and that a tourist on a business trip consumes significantly more than the average tourist.
The NTO booth is represented by the Tourism Organization Budva, Montenegro Stars Hotel Group, Regent Porto Montenegro Hotels, The Chedi-Lustica Bay, MTS Montenegro Travel Agencies, Explorer, Intours DMC, Montenegro In Style and East West Voyage.
The IBTM Specialized Congress Industry Fair lasts till Thursday.
Text by MINA, on November 20th, 2019, read more at Boka News
Beach “Galija”, located on St. Stefan in Budva and considered to be one of the most exclusive on the Montenegrin coast, has been hit for the second time in the last half-year by a severe weather storm, which has caused enormous damage.
Damages is over € 100,000
“Galija's” executive director, Nikola Novakovic, said the damage was estimated at more than 100,000 euros. He added that many owners of beaches on the Montenegrin coast are in a similar situation.
"Most importantly, no one was hurt. We tried to save some of the inventory, but unfortunately, we failed. The damage is huge," Novakovic said.
Devastated Beach bar
As he points out, this is the second time in the last six months that such an accident has hit them, and the fifth one in the last few years.
"The enormous amount of hard work and effort, as well as the huge financial resources that have been invested in making the beach one of the most elite, both in Budva and on the entire Montenegrin coast, has been destroyed. I hope that the Municipality of Budva and JP Morsko dobro will support us and that there is an emergency fund for situations, such as this one," Novakovic points out.
New toilets destroyed
He adds that the damage will be repaired and that next season, their guests will be greeted as they are used to and how they deserve.
"It will take a long time for the damage caused to be adequately repaired and the beach returned to its original condition. We were unable to secure the inventory, because the insurance companies do not insure the facilities near the sea, and I hope that the state will support not only me but everyone who is affected by this storm, "he concludes.
Although the most popular beach in Budva is almost destroyed, Novakovic assures all fans of Galija who express their concern these days that they will do their best to enable them to enjoy this ambience next season with the same quality as before.
"Galija" destroyed for the second time in the last half-year
Text by Promo, on November 20th, 2019, read more at Vijesti