June 27, 2020 - Montenegro has reported an increase in new cases of Covid-19 after labs of the Institute for Public Health analyzed 407 samples and detected another 30 cases.
Montenegro now records 145 COVID-19 cases:
Bijelo Polje: 13
Herceg Novi: 2
Mugoša: Current Circumstances with COVID-19 a Return to the Previous Situation
Director of the Institute for Public Health, Dr. Boban Mugoša, said at the press conference that specific measures aimed at curbing the coronavirus's spread were taken at the state level.
He warned that the current situation was a return to the previous status.
"We managed the first wave successfully. As expected, people got complacent. A specific number of people irresponsibly entered the area where the concentration of people was enormous, and it was quite expected infection would appear", Dr. Mugoša pointed out.
Serbian Orthodox Church Follows counter- COVID-19 Recommendations.
Director of the Institute for Public Health, Dr. Boban Mugoša, said yesterday that religious processions organized by the Serbian Orthodox Church in Montenegro "won't be taking place due to increased risk and surge in the number of coronavirus cases."
"We had justified reason to propose this to the Metropolitanate and religious communities supported us. Metropolitanate said the religious procession wouldn't be taking place", Dr. Mugoša said at the press conference.
In Montenegro, the Serbian Orthodox Church said that they were going to abide by the recommendations of the National Coordination Body, referring to Covid-19 restrictions on public gatherings, i.e., religious processions.
"Church representatives informed the Institute for Public Health about this decision yesterday. It's important to say that we were not making a deal with them to halt religious processions, and we didn't back their prohibition either. Taking care of the general health, both physical and spiritual, the church municipalities in Montenegro, as organizers of religious processions, were instructed to immediately inform the National Police units about the suspension of religious processions announced for June 28 this year. We call on all believers to come to their temples and churches on religious services, as worshiping in churches, monasteries, and other areas which belong to them are not and cannot be banned," the Metropolitanate of Montenegro and the Littoral, MCP, announced.
They also said they were worried that the President of Montenegro and the President of SUBNOR "had been recommended" to cancel their previously announced public gatherings. In contrast, the church had been strictly prohibited from organizing peaceful rallies, i.e., religious processions, outside churches, and monasteries.