March 28, 2020 - In Montenegro, one person has died from COVID-19 infection, and according to the latest data from the Institute of Public Health, coronavirus infection has been confirmed in 84 people, nine of which are new today. In addition to Tuzi, Podgorica, Bar, Andrijevica, Herceg Novi, Budva, Ulcinj, and Danilovgrad, the virus was confirmed today in one patient resident in Tivat.
After the Institute informed the public this morning that of the 18 coronaviruses tested were confirmed in seven people, following the latest analyzes and 28 new samples, two showed a positive result for COVID-19 infection. There are 6,278 persons under medical and sanitary supervision in Montenegro.
At the Clinical Center of Montenegro, fourteen patients are treated with a confirmed presence of COVID-19 infection, three of which are in the Intensive Care Unit of the Internal Clinic. "All patients are currently in stable vital parameters," the Clinical Centre said.
Number of COVID-19 patients by municipalities:
Herceg Novi: 4
The first contingent of assistance in medical equipment to suppress the spread of COVID-19 has arrived
A contingent of medical equipment was being delivered to Podgorica tonight to support the suppression of a coronavirus pandemic, donated by Montenegrin health system businessman Petros Statis, the Montenegrin government said.
FlyDubai's aircraft delivered 600,000 medical masks, 100,000 medical gloves, 79,000 N95 masks, and 21,700 face masks.
Ranko Lazovic, head of the Crisis Operational Staff for Health, said that the amount of equipment would meet the needs of the Montenegrin health system in the next three to four weeks when the epidemic peak is expected.
The Chief of the Prime Minister's Office Dragoljub Bulatovic said that the equipment arrived at the right time when our existing resources were running out. "Three and a half tonnes of protective equipment will mean safety for our health care professionals, but also members of all frontline services against coronaviruses," Bulatovic said.
Protective medical equipment will be distributed to all health care institutions in Montenegro tomorrow morning. "We expect the delivery of new aid contingents at the beginning of next week, which will also be distributed to pharmacies so that citizens will also have enough protective masks and gloves in the coming period, "said Minister of Health Kenan Hrapovic.
Extension of the period of mandatory self-isolation
All persons who have been pronounced a measure of self-isolation will remain in it for 14 days. It is a new temporary measure to prevent the introduction into the country, suppression, and prevention of the new coronavirus, issued by the Ministry of Health on the recommendation of the Institute of Public Health.
The new order for persons who, based on the decision of the health and sanitary inspection, determines the measure of putting in self-isolation (in a family accommodation or other facility), after the expiry of 14 days of self-isolation, is extended for another 14 days.
Persons who have been quarantined by a sanitary inspection decision and did not have the symptoms of a new coronavirus during the quarantine period, shall, after quarantine expire, be placed in self-isolation in family accommodation in lasting 14 days.
Simović presented to the ambassadors the National Plan for Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic
Montenegro's National COVID-19 Pandemic Preparedness and Response Plan was presented today to ambassadors accredited to Montenegro as a complete document covering Montenegro's estimated comprehensive quarterly needs of € 59 million in ten key categories. This document includes urgent responses to numerous emergency responses socio-economic challenges, the Government of Montenegro announced.
The President of the National Coordinating Body for Infectious Diseases, Milutin Simovic, presented to the ambassadors the measures and activities Montenegro has taken so far and warned them that our country is entering a critical phase, as the epidemic is expected to peak next week.
"In this fight, we also need help and understanding in the short term. Our actions today will save lives in the coming weeks. We have no time to delay, as examples of friendly European countries that are experiencing one of the most dramatic moments in their history show. It is urgent to find the right answers. And we need your help here. We need help from other countries in the region as well, and this is the best opportunity for participants in this conference to share their experiences of this approach with their countries, believing that we could soon create joint regional initiatives ", said Simovic.
Simovic informed the ambassadors that the Prime Minister had already launched an initiative for a joint response of the countries of the region to the coronavirus, which should mean solidarity and free movement of goods, especially medical devices.
He also stated that the Government team, with the assistance of the World Health Organization, developed the National Plan as a platform for providing support through the United Nations Global Fund (UN) for preparedness and response to the spread of coronaviruses. The National Plan should also serve as an instrument for the coordination and action of all international and other partners in support of Montenegro's efforts to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
"In that direction, we already have daily communication with WHO, European Commission support provided as part of emergency measures, and their comprehensive support package is being prepared. NATO and EU emergency mechanisms have also been launched," Simovic said.
The Government of Montenegro said that the challenges to be addressed before the outbreak of the epidemic were identified: prevention and control of infection, surveillance and investigation of cases and case management, national laboratories, and border crossings. Accordingly, the critical expenditures foreseen in the document include the management of infected cases and the socio-economic aspect, accounting for just over two-thirds of the resources foreseen. Almost € 15 million is earmarked for logistics and equipping border crossings.
Source: Gornement of Montenegro, Vijesti Online, Tivat Municipality Website