COVID-19 in Montenegro: First Death Confirmed

By , 23 Mar 2020, 10:09 AM News
COVID-19 in Montenegro: First Death Confirmed Source: Radio Tivat
March 23, 2020 - The first COVID-19 death was confirmed in Montenegro late last night. According to a joint statement by the Institute of Public Health and the Clinical Center of Montenegro, it is a 65-year-old man with chronic lung disease. The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Montenegro is now 22.
 
Director of the Clinical Center Jevto Erakovic announced that the first death of a coronavirus in Montenegro was a 65-year-old Z.P from Herceg Novi, who was admitted to the Clinical Center for Chronic Lung Disease last night.
 
The swab sample was taken after the patient's arrival at the Clinical Center. Analyses confirmed that the patient had COVID-19. This citizen was in Serbia in the first half of March.
 
"This is a citizen of Montenegro, 65 years old from Herceg Novi. He was transported to the Clinical Center of Montenegro in the early morning hours and died shortly after. All the measures that were implemented within a short period of stay in the Clinical Center of Montenegro, unfortunately, could not leave any better trace for the treatment of this patient. The Clinical Center staff, as I noted, did everything that could be done, used all the necessary protective equipment and all the procedures prescribed by the standards for the treatment of COVID-19 patients," said Erakovic.
 
Sending his condolences to the family of the deceased, Erakovic  told the citizens that "this is another opportunity to understand the seriousness of this disease."
 
"We have to respect all the recommendations of the National Coordination Team, to stand in solidarity and face the problem ahead, and to overcome it," Erakovic said.
 
Director of the Institute of Public Health, Boban Mugoša, announced that so far, 22 people have been registered with COVIDA 19 in Montenegro.
 
"One person has passed away. This indicates that the epidemic is spreading and showing a more ugly face than just spreading, which is that this disease is dying. Because of all this, I would like to remind and reiterate that all prescribed measures and all orders should be obeyed to protect ourselves from this disease," said Mugoša.
 
Source: Radio Tivat

Photo galleries and videos