The training ship of the Romanian Navy "Mircea" sailed to Tivat this morning, where it will stay on an official visit to Montenegro and its Navy. Although it was planned to be berthed beside the Montenegrin training ship “Jadran” on the city's coast Pine, due to the deep draft, the ship was referred to the pier 5 in the Porto Montenegro marina. In the afternoon, it will be accompanied by TS “Jadran”, whose crew has numerous joint activities with Romanian guests in the next four days. They also announced that the sailboat will be open for citizen visits.
Upon arrival, Mircea's crew and cadets were saluted by Romanian ambassador in Montenegro, Ferdinand Nadj, and Montenegrin Navy representatives. The Romanian school ship, with its 82 meters longitude, is significantly bigger and five years younger than TS “Jadran”. This three-legged bark, the fourth in a series of five identical German sailboats of the "Gorch Fock" type, was built in Hamburg in 1938. The vessel is 82 m long, 12 m wide and has three masts on which 23 sails give it a total surface area of nearly 1,800 m square. In addition to the sail, Mircea also sails on a 1,100 horsepower engine with a maximum speed of 10 knots.
Up to 210 crewmembers and cadets can be sailed on the sailboat, and German colleagues from the Navy Academy have joined Romanian colleagues on this trip. Cadets from Turkey, Croatia, Ukraine, France, Denmark and the Netherlands are occasionally also trained at Mircea.
After the Second World War, the ship served in the USSR Navy under the name "Tovarišč". The current training ship of the Coast Guard of the United States- "Eagle" sailboat, Romania training ship, the naval ship of the Portuguese Navy "Sagres" and a new training ship of Germany called "Gorch Fock" were also in the same series. It was built after World War II to replace a ship as war reparations came to the USSR.
"Mircea", named after the Duke of Mirca the Great (1386 - 1418), has had 40 times international cruises that led him to the Caribbean and North America. He returned to the Adriatic Sea after 49 years, when in July 1969, it visited Split.