COVID-19 in Montenegro: Yesterday 344 New Cases, Half in Podgorica

By , 10 Oct 2020, 14:09 PM News
COVID-19 in Montenegro: Yesterday 344 New Cases, Half in Podgorica Illustration, Source: Antena M

Share this:

October 10, 2020 - Montenegro saw a record 344 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, which means that yesterday's number of patients is higher than the total number of those infected in the first wave of the epidemic, when a total of 324 cases were registered from mid-March to early May.
 
Montenegrin epidemiologists have warned that the number of people infected daily could rise by the end of the week, especially in Podgorica, where COVID-19 centers have seen increasing numbers in recent days. At the same time, convoys of cars waiting for testing stretched for several kilometers.
 
The Institute recorded precisely half the new cases in the Montenegrin capital yesterday. If this trend of increasing numbers continues, it could enter the "red zone," which means introducing restrictive measures such as closing restaurants and a curfew from 22:00 to 05:00.
 
Such epidemiological measures have been in force for two weeks in three cities, Niksic, Berane, and Andrijevica.
 
"Currently, there are 3828 active cases in Montenegro, which is 608 patients per 100 thousand inhabitants," the health authorities announced. Three people have died.
 
"The total number of deaths related to COVID-19 infection since the beginning of June is 185, and since the beginning of the year 194," it was announced on Friday.
 
Montenegro has paid an advance for vaccines
 
Outgoing Montenegrin Health Minister Kanan Hrapovic announced earlier on Friday that he had signed an agreement and that the state had paid an advance of about 600,000 euros, which would allow the country to receive about 250,000 doses of the coronavirus vaccine immediately when it is produced, at a unit price of 8.84 euros.
 
"According to research by the Institute of Public Health and their assessment of the required amount of vaccine doses, Montenegro has expressed a need for 248,800 doses, i.e., an amount that would cover 20 percent of the population, given that two doses per person are recommended," Hrapovic said.
 
He explained that by signing this agreement, Montenegro has joined the COVAX mechanism for vaccines against COVID-19, which the World Health Organization initiated to enable the procurement and fair distribution of vaccines among countries.
 
Hrapovic also announced that the Montenegrin government has launched a procedure to procure Remdesivir, which will treat patients with a more severe clinical picture.
 
"Procurement of this medicine in the coming months will most likely be possible exclusively through the joint procurement mechanism initiated by the European Commission," Hrapovic said.

Photo galleries and videos