COVID-19 in Montenegro: 1453 Active Cases, Update July 14, 2020

By , 14 Jul 2020, 22:03 PM News
COVID-19 in Montenegro: 1453 Active Cases, Update July 14, 2020 Illustration, Source: Institute of Public Health
July 14, 2020 - Among 426 samples analyzed by the Institute of Public Health of Montenegro, 64 new COVID-19 patients were confirmed. The Institute also announced that analyses of samples sent to Germany had been processed and among the 2,000 submitted samples, there were 475 COVID-19 positives. Taking into account the deceased and recovered patients, the number of active COVID-19 cases in Montenegro is currently 1453.
 
The IPH announced that during the day, the death of COVID-19 was laboratory-confirmed in a patient from Bijelo Polje. In two other deaths in which the cause of death was suspected to be related to the new coronavirus, the result was negative. The total number of confirmed deaths from COVID-19 since the beginning of June is 16.
 
Recovery was confirmed in another 18 patients, bringing the total number recovered from COVID-19 to 33.

The number of active COVID-19 cases by municipality:

Podgorica 553
Rozaje 221
Bijelo Polje 151
Berane 79
Budva 64
Pljevlja 56
Nikšić 61
Cetinje 55
Bar 53
Tivat 29
Gusinje 17
Kotor 52
Ulcinj 18
Petnjica 11
Herceg Novi 21
Danilovgrad 9
Andrijevica 1
Tuzi 1
Žabljak 1
 
 
The total number of PCR tests conducted in Montenegro, including analyses carried out in Germany, is 27,367.

Montenegro has the highest percentage of active COVID-19 patients in the region

In the region, the most significant number of active patients per 100 thousand inhabitants is now registered in Montenegro. In second place is North Macedonia, and in third place in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH).
In Montenegro, 231 active patients were registered per 100 thousand inhabitants, in N. Macedonia 167, and BiH 109.
 
In fourth place is Serbia, with 66 active patients per 100 thousand inhabitants, followed by Albania with 52, Croatia with 28 and Slovenia with 13 active patients per 100 thousand inhabitants.
 
In Montenegro, today's peak occurred due to the results from Germany, where 475 positive cases of coronavirus were confirmed, reports Mina.
 
In the region, the highest number infected with coronavirus in relation to the population have been registered in N. Macedonia, in second place in Montenegro, and third place in Serbia.
 
There are 4,006 infected people per million inhabitants in northern Macedonia, 2,898 in Montenegro, and 2,719 in Serbia.
 
In fourth place is BiH with 2,045 infected per million inhabitants, followed by Albania with 1,273, Croatia 938, and Slovenia with 898 COVID-19 patients per million inhabitants.
 
Concerning the number of infected, the highest mortality is in Slovenia, 5.97 percent, N. Macedonia 4.67 percent, followed by Croatia with 3.14 percent and BiH with 2.98 percent.
 
The death rate in Albania is 2.65 percent in Serbia 2.2 and Montenegro 1.37 percent.
 
The most tested concerning one million inhabitants are in Serbia, 72,616 per million inhabitants, Slovenia is in second place with 56,170, and Montenegro is in third place with 43,440.
 
In fourth place is N. Macedonia, with 38,169 tested per million inhabitants, followed by BiH with 31,795 and Croatia with 23,510 tested per million inhabitants.
 
As for numbers per municipality, in Montenegro the largest number of actively ill people per ten thousand inhabitants is registered in Gusinje, followed by Rožaje, and Budva in third place.

Simovic: For now, there are no restrictive measures

The President of the National Coordination Body (NKT), Milutin Simovic, said that there would be no restrictive measures, such as staying at home, as during the first wave of coronavirus.
 
"Now there is no strict measure (in place) - staying home. Now we are going out to work because the economy is also defending public health, "said Simović.
 
According to him, this is a crisis that no one could have foreseen, "and we have to face it in an extremely responsible way."

Brajović: Autumn and winter will be challenging for the Montenegrin health system

The upcoming autumn and winter period will be quite challenging for the Montenegrin health system because it will have to deal with two complex burdens simultaneously - coronavirus and seasonal flu, believes the Head of the Office of the World Health Organization in Montenegro, Mina Brajović.
 
She said that it is known from experience that seasonal flu is the cause of prolonged illness and death, as well as that it represents a high burden on health systems around the world.
 
Brajović told the Mina agency that seasonal flu is a threat, especially for the elderly and those with chronic diseases. In combination with SARS CoV 2, it will represent an even higher risk and burden for those vulnerable groups, the health system and society as a whole.
 
"This year, more than ever, it is essential to make the right choice. To be vaccinated against seasonal flu, to preserve health and beds for patients with COVID 19," said Brajović.
 
She said that when it comes to the second wave, most associate it with the completed first wave, with a reduced level of illness.
 
"However, it is also possible that another peak (maximum) occurs within the same wave of disease, as was the case with pandemics in the past," Brajović explained.
 
According to Brajović, the virus is there, and to minimize the risk. It is necessary to implement public health measures continuously, physical distancing measures, and insist on supervision.

Montenegro and Serbia removed from the EU list of safe countries

Montenegro and Serbia have been removed from the list of safe countries, and the EU's borders are now being closed to all Western Balkan countries.
 
Today, the EU member states' ambassadors removed the two remaining countries in the region from the list due to the worsening situation with the COVID-19 epidemic, which was confirmed for Radio Free Europe.
 
The list, adopted at the end of June, included 15 safe countries, and the latest list now has only 13.
 
The meeting at the level of EU ambassadors on restrictive measures for travel outside European borders takes place on a regular basis due to the list being updated every 14 days.
 
On June 11, the European Commission recommended that EU member states lift the restrictive travel measures for the Western Balkans from July 1 because "the epidemiological situation in those countries is similar or better than in the EU."
 
However, in light of the growing number of infected people in the region, the EU decided on June 27 not to include most countries in the group of safe countries.
 
Until today, Montenegro and Serbia were the only countries for which no restrictive measures applied.
 
Once the recommendations are adopted, they are not binding on EU member states, which can individually proceed with implementing or lifting restrictive travel measures for citizens from so-called third countries.
 
Also, each EU country has the sovereign right to individually introduce additional preventive measures for citizens who may come from third countries with which the borders are open, the EU institutions announced.
 
Source: PCNEN, Vijesti

Photo galleries and videos