COVID-19 in Montenegro: 623 Active Cases, Update July 8, 2020

By , 08 Jul 2020, 18:36 PM News
COVID-19 in Montenegro: 623 Active Cases, Update July 8, 2020 Illustration, Source: Shutterstock
July 8, 2020 - The laboratories of the Institute of Public Health of Montenegro (IPH) have completed 392 samples for the new coronavirus in the last 24 hours, among which 53 results were COVID-19 positive, the IJZCG announced.
 
These are patients from Podgorica 35, Cetinje 6, Bijelo Polje 5, Berane 3, Budva 2, Nikšić 1, and Pljevlja 1.
 
"There are 623 active COVID-19 cases; five patients have recovered. Since the beginning of June, the total number of registered COVID-19 cases is 636, eight with a fatal outcome," the IPH announced.

The number of active COVID-19 cases by municipality:

Podgorica 229
Rozaje 131
Bijelo Polje 60
Berane 31
Budva 28
Cetinje 21
Pljevlja 20
Bar 19
Gusinje 17
Tivat 15
Petnjica11
Niksic 9
Danilovgrad 8
Ulcinj 8
Kotor 7
Herceg Novi 6
Tuzi 2
Andrijevica 1
 
Municipalities in which there are no infections are: Kolašin, Mojkovac, Plav, Plužine, Šavnik and Žabljak.

Minors with COVID-19 in good condition, MNE has 168 respirators

The Director of the Children's Hospital of the Clinical Center of Montenegro, Sasa Radovic, announced that 79 people are currently being treated for COVID-19 in hospitals in Montenegro.
 
"As far as children are concerned, we have 98 COVID-19 patients under the age of 19. All these patients are in good general condition," said Radović.
 
He said that there are 486-bed units and 168 respirators in the health system, 92 in the Clinical Center of Montenegro.
 
He also stated that 15 health workers were infected with the coronavirus, including three doctors. There are 121 health workers in self-isolation, among them 32 doctors.

Four COVID-19 patients in Berane in serious condition

The General Hospital in Berane is currently treating 28 patients with a confirmed Covid-19 infection - four of them are in the intensive care unit on oxygen support, and their health condition is serious, the health institution announced.
 
"There are 11 more patients under observation for whom we are awaiting results of Covid tests. Three patients have a very severe clinical outlook, and two are in a life-threatening condition," the Berane hospital said.

NKT has not yet considered closing Podgorica

At the press conference of the National Coordination Body for Infectious Diseases (NKT), when asked whether the information that Podgorica will be closed tonight is correct, the Head of the Department of Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases at the IPH Dr. Sanja Medenica said that they had not discussed it today.
 
"The epidemiological situation is becoming more serious, the number of registered cases is increasing," Medenica said, asking the public to wear masks, maintain hygiene and physical distance.

State of emergency possible, elections in doubt

Medenica announced that the introduction of a state of emergency would be discussed at the NKT session, depending on the epidemiological situation.
 
Asked whether they discussed how people in self-isolation would vote in the elections on August 30, Medenica said that a meeting on that issue is scheduled for today, after which the public will have more precise information.
 
According to Medenica, Montenegro can test up to 500 samples a day for the new coronavirus. She also said they hadn't yet recorded a re-infection of COVID-19 in any previously-infected individual. 

The EU continues to support the MNE in the fight against the COVID-19 epidemic

The European Union has donated an additional 10,000 masks to Montenegro through the rescEU component of the EU Civil Protection Mechanism. Within the same contingent of aid, face covers were also given to Serbia, Northern Macedonia, and Croatia, the EU InfoCentre announced.
 
"More needs to be done to prevent the further or recurrent spread of the coronavirus, and protective masks are necessary for that fight. Today, based on previous requests, we send 65,000 additional protective ace covers to Montenegro, Serbia, Northern Macedonia, and Croatia. I thank Romania for enabling the storage and transport of rescEU equipment to those who need it," said Crisis Management Commissioner Janez Lenarcic.
 
The Directorate for Emergency Situations Director in the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Mirsad Mulić, emphasized that this donation represents another confirmation of the continuous support of the European Union in this challenging period of the fight against coronavirus.

Institute supported within the Call for COVID-19 projects

The Central European Initiative has completed the process of evaluating projects submitted within the extraordinary Call for COVID-19 projects, the Ministry of Science announced.
 
"Out of 7,000 applications received from all member countries of the Initiative, 22 project ideas were selected for funding. Among them is a scientific research institution from Montenegro - the Institute of Public Health, with the project 'National Telemedicine Platform,'" the statement said.
 
The project manager is, on behalf of the Institute, Dr. Senad Begić.
 
This CEI Call was to quickly address the specific needs of communities within the CEI member states in medicine, education, and support for micro, small, and medium enterprises.

Photo galleries and videos