May 8, 2020 - No new cases of COVID-19 have been registered since Tuesday. The total number of coronavirus patients in Montenegro remains 324, while the number of recoveries is now 266. There are currently 50 active cases, by the city are as follows: Podgorica (28), Ulcinj (10), Bar (4), Gusinje (3), Plav (2), Niksic (1), Herceg Novi (1), Bijelo Polje (1).
Will hospitality businesses open next week?
During its meeting today, the National Coordinating Body will likely examine the possibility of allowing hospitality facilities to open as early as next week, despite that experts consider these businesses should not reopen before May 18.
Vijesti asked the Institute of Public Health yesterday if it had recommended opening cafes, restaurants, and bars at the start of next week, and if not, to comment on the large number of such businesses getting ready for their first guests. The IJZ answered that the question would be raised during today's meeting but that currently, the plan was to stick to the earlier announced schedule.
Two nights before, IJZ director Boban Mugosa announced on the national broadcaster that the possibility that these businesses could be allowed to open "some days before May 18 if the epidemiological situation was favorable" was being considered.
Elections: DPS is deliberating between the end of July and beginning of September
Parliamentary elections in Montenegro could take place in the second half of July at the earliest. It would suit DPS the best, as it would like to capitalize on the government's current positive ratings, generated by its results in preventing a more COVID-19 severe epidemic, as soon as possible.
Over the past two months, during the health crisis, the negative consequences primarily for DPS's ratings resulting from the adoption of the law on freedom of religion have been politically neutralized, Vijesti sources from the civil sector have said.
DPS launched its election campaign during the height of the COVID-19 epidemic that an economic crisis is expected to ensure, and given the actions of the Agency for the Prevention of Corruption's (ASK) related to the implementation of the law on funding political entities and election campaigns- there are lot of indicators that DPS is in high gear, preparing for the elections.
Orav: EU will come out of COVID-19 crisis stronger
The head of the EU delegation in Montenegro, Aivo Orav, said that the EU had a unified approach to fighting the coronavirus, stressing that it would get out of the crisis more reliable than ever. As Europe Day is getting closer, Orav commented on the current circumstances and stressed the importance and presence of solidarity. He also said that the EU did not forget its friends in the Western Balkans.
Season starts in July, promoting Montenegro as world corona-free zone
The director of the National Tourist Organization, Zeljka Radak-Kukavicic, says in an interview for Dnevne Novine that "according to United Nations World Tourism Organization estimates, the initial phase of the tourist recovery will start in July 2020. The most important part of tourist traffic will be domestic tourists and regional tourist demand".
Radak-Kukavicic adds that Montenegro sees opportunities there, and it is quite sure that tourists will decide on closer destinations this year. Also, health safety and security are the priorities that tourists will be guided by when choosing a vacation destination, she adds.
"According to the estimates of eminent health experts, the 'winners' of the crisis so far are countries that are close to eradicating the virus, and among them is Montenegro, which is predicted to be one of the world's first corona-free zones," she points out.
This brief is kindly prepared for you by Arhimed & Represent Communications.